<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10456527/?claim=fyhxhpztxzu”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Call it sculpted, call it rounded shoulders . . . we all know what word this look would bring to mind on us plebeians – “boxy.” While this is a hard look to pull off if you maintain the average BMI or above, where there’s a will, there’s a way. Never one to fight off a runway trend (except for flatforms and the revival of the Birkenstocks), I accepted the challenge of finding a way to attain this look with flattering and frugal results.
Here’s the casual look: boxy tee, skinny (yet boyfriend-esque) jeans, big jewelry, and a surprising red lip. Add boots to toughen it up, or pointed flats (quite similar to the Proenza look, no?) to glam it up.
Or invest in a trendy-meets-classic coat. Military style, cropped for fall or spring, or big and comfy with rounded shoulders – here’s how to fix them up. Ladies, a belt is your best friend. Keep it neutral with just a little shine for a minimalist feel. It’ll cinch in the waist, helping you escape the dreaded “I’m a box” effect, but it will also accentuate the sculpted shoulders, making you look couture on a budget. Now comes the fun part: statement jewelry. Every girl needs a big statement necklace or collar (I suggest checking out Aldo accessories… buy one get one free!), or channel your inner Dolce & Gabbana with big, colorful earrings.
Have fun with this trend, and remember – don’t be afraid to be fabulous!
The biggest thank you to Danica over at the blog styledsweetly for nominating FPG for the LIebster Award! If you aren’t following her blog, I suggest you do so now… it’s perfect for a dose of cuteness and some great fashion inspiration.
The Liebster Award is for blogs with 200 followers or less. It requires you to share a bit more about yourself and recognize some of your other favorite beginner blogs. So here are a few random facts about me:
1. I go to school in NYC, and while I’m racking up a lot of student loans (though not as much as some), I don’t think I’d change a thing – the opportunities, the people, the bright lights! Be still my heart!
2. I changed my mind about what I wanted to do with my life about 4 times this past year.
3. I’ve finally settled on entrepreneurship (I want to start my own magazine) and writing.
4. I’ve never been on a plane… though this year I might take my first flight – internationally!
5. Since realizing my calling, I’ve ordered subscriptions to 3 magazines: Harper’s (forever my favorite), Elle, and Marie Claire.
6. I sometimes eat Tostito’s chips like they’re my crack.
7. I tore both my ACLs within two years.
8. I went to a Catholic high school, although I’m Protestant, but I met my bestie there so I don’t regret not going to public school.
9. I listen to movie soundtracks to fall asleep… composers like Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, Alexandre Desplat, Nicholas Hooper.
10. Chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination of anything ever.
11. I slept in until 4pm once this summer. I don’t even know how I managed that one.
Here are ten answers for the ten questions styledsweetly gave me:
1. What do you see for the future of your blog?
I hope to inspire people to embrace their own personal style and try out trends, without thinking of their budget as a restraint. I really look up to the pennychic.com blog that Shauna Miller founded… if I can help make one person’s wardrobe better without breaking the bank, I’m happy.
2. Why did you decide to do a blog?
I would love to write for a magazine someday, so I started a blog to practice fashion writing, and as a creative outlet. Also, I saw a lot of great blogs but they usually featured items that aren’t that accessible to the masses, so I wanted to do something for people that actually have a budget.
3. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
Sometimes, I just don’t want to write a post. But once I sit down and get going, everything just flows. I guess I love that process where my ideas and words just come out smoothly.
4. What do you do for work?
In the summer – I waitress. School year – work study at school. I also have a virtual internship this summer and an editorial internship lined up in NYC in the fall.
5. What is your favorite thing about fashion?
How it’s complete expression of self and the world around you. It’s like a huge art show that everyone in the world can partake in.
7. What is your favorite fashion piece?
High fashion? Any McQueen, or Celine bags. Accessible fashion? My new purse from Call it Spring.
8. What is your favorite blog?
I follow a LOT of blogs, both on here and bloglovin’.. I’d have to say B. Jones Style, because of the What Would Carrie Wear? posts and how she actually just has fun with fashion.
9. What do you want to do with your life?
Ultimately – start my own women’s magazine, but with a twist.
10. What is your favorite quote?
“Never give up hope. Because when you give up hope, you give up everything.”
Now (drumroll, please) for my nominees:
1. Veloria in Velvet: What can I say? This girl has great style. I love her unique way of dressing and wish I knew how to layer like she does, too. Great for inspiration, and for good finds!
2. Knocked Up Fabulous: What’s better than a woman saying no sweatpants and yes to looking (and feeling) fabulous? How about a mother with two kids? Great looks, especially if you need some pregnancy fashion advice, and great inspiration to keep up being fabulous – no matter what the circumstances!
3. Unicorn Stylings: This fashion-forward blog makes me wish I lived on the West Coast. Love looking at the cute outfits for inspiration!
4: StyledSweetly: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cuter mommy-baby duo. Whether you’re a college student that isn’t going to think about kids until age 30, or a mother yourself, this dose of cuteness is worth a follow.
5: My Fabulous Frugal Life: One of the sweetest bloggers, this girl knows how to make a budget work! Follow if you like learning about great steals for clothes, cooking, and wine (and if you don’t, then maybe go see a doctor).
That’s all! I love this little award for the smaller blog community, and I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little more about me 🙂
1. Mascara wands make the best eyebrow brushes. When its time to toss your favorite tube of mascara, save the wand. Wash it clean with soap and water and, voila, free brow spoolie! (Tip: ideally, you should replace your mascara every 3 months to protect your eyes from bacteria; see: When In Doubt, Toss It Out.)
2. Turn any eyeshadow into a long-lasting eyeliner with a drop of saline solution. I learned this trick years ago from Carmindy on What Not to Wear. Wet an eyeliner brush with a drop or two of saline solution (the same stuff you use to clean your contact lenses) then dip the brush into a powder eyeshadow and apply it like liquid liner. When it dries, it’s sweat and smudge proof and lasts all day. I love using this trick with purple, green and teal shadows for a…
View original post 682 more words
With summer in full swing, you may have noticed that you need a few more warm-weather staples to throw into your wardrobe. Here are a few round-ups of shorts that can fit any style or wardrobe – all less than $50!
First up, the classic jean shorts. Channel your inner Cara or Rihanna by wearing a pair with a more ’90s, rocker vibe. Think frayed, high waisted, ripped up, old school washes, and cuffs.
Something sweet a little more your style? Go for lace or floral prints. Vintage washes and cute bows can bring out the cute flirty girl in anyone.
Or go all out with a trendy, edgy look. Beetlejuice stripes don’t just stop with pants… here’s a shorter version to fit the weather. White with gold accents is a hip take on nautical. Leather is always in – bonus, where it in the fall with tights and booties! Or go for a more laid-back look with the polka dot trend.
The best part about all of these cute shorts? Their price! Pick a few and you’re sure to look fabulous all summer long.
Let me introduce you to this cool little thing I found on the internet the other day: Keaton Row. It’s this handy tool that’s going to change the whole landscape of personal styling. Here’s what it does: You create an account to either get styled or become a personal stylist. If you choose to get styled, you get matched up with a stylist who will talk to you about what you’d like or need. Then you will get a lookbook from your stylist – 5-7 full outfits and a few ‘express boutiques,’ which are just sets with choices of one item (say, jeans) that you really need and are looking for. Then, you choose whether or not you want to buy anything. If you do, your stylist gets a commission on what you buy.
Here’s where it gets personal. I recently signed up to be a stylist for this site. While the brands used for this site so far are great quality, they are not the cheapest. But, hey, why not get some inspiration and maybe score something on sale? You can sign up to get styled by me here: https://keatonrow.com/stylist/madelinest_amour.
What do you all think of this site? Do you think it’s great to give people the option to be their own stylist and boss, or should not everyone have the option to be a stylist? Do you think you’ll join up (use this link: http://keatonrow.com/stylist/signup?ref=51ca78b197c6c10000003ae5) or do you think it’s silly? Hopefully you do sign up, and hopefully I can help you revamp your style 🙂
The easiest go-to outfit in the summer? Any pretty little sundress! The best part about this is that sundresses come in just about any size, shape, and style – and a huge array of them can be found in the under $50 price point (or even under $25!). Here are a few of my top picks for this summer:
(From left to right on top):
Hate the super-sweet floral look? Try this edgy and super modern take on the sundress from Topshop (on sale for $40!). Want a super easy boho look? Then this super easy dress from H&M is perfect for you – and your wallet. For those fashionistas that are feeling denim-crazed, this dress from boohoo.com is the answer to how to wear denim in the hot summer months. Another on sale Topshop dress hits just the right line between cute and too-sweet with gray polka dots over bright yellow.
(From left to right on bottom):
Want to embrace your inner old time pin-up but keep the summer vibe? Then this dress from Bonne Chance should do just the trick. For the wistful at heart that want a dress that just flows, boohoo.com makes the perfect match. For a vintage look sans pin-up vibe, go for this yellow number from Vero Moda that looks like T-Swift picked it out herself. And last, but not least, for the little bit of crazy Patricia Field in all of us, there’s this cute little cat dress from Nelly.